Tuesday 6 September 2011

Sir, you play mahjong?


This was the stupid question that I once asked Mr. Morales. In response, he did not answer but proudly presented me his right hand and showed me the two calluses on his fingers. Another stupid question I asked was: Sir, you can feel and distinguish? He did not answer but asked me a question: which two are the most difficult to differentiate? Words, I said. He sternly said: No, Sammy, six and nine bamboo. Expert as he was.

When we visited him in Cebu in 2002, we brought with us a set of mahjong and a table and we had a few hours of good time. Our respectable Principal is not just a historian, but an educator and a gentleman. He did not just teach us in the classroom but he demonstrated to us what a real gentleman should be. Human as he was, he loved his students and he showed us what kind of a person he was. Fatherly as he was, he was a model for us. He shows us what a gentleman is like. Raimondians are not famous for being gentlemen but if at all we are, thanks Mr. Morales of letting us know what a true man is like.

SIR, SALUTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment